Application of different kinds of thermal pastes is very common these day in heat producing electrical instruments. It is more common in computers, as heat effects the performance of the system. It is very easy to apply this site, however, there are few little things which are important to know.
- Before applying the thermal paste, you need to clean the surface of the IHS. You can use alcohol based cleaners for the proper cleaning. Make sure you are using nonconductive material for the cleaning, like cotton or tissue paper.
- Another important thing is to apply a very small amount of thermal paste. Keep in mind that excessive use of thermal paste will make it an insulator and instead of dissipating heat it will start retaining it. So, make sure that you apply a very small amount of paste.
- On the other hand, too little is also not good. You can use pea method, vertical method or circular method for the proper application of thermal paste.
- When applying, make sure that it does not spill on other parts of the computer. If you are using metal based thermal compounds, it can cause some more issues in case of spillage.
- Once you apply thermal paste, it will last long. However, when you reinstall your cooler make sure that you reapply thermal paste as well. You should reapply it once a year for better performance.
The function of the thermal paste is to dissipate the heat and keep the system cooler. So, make sure that you buy the right paste having good compound. Apply it properly after cleaning the surface. Moreover, make sure you apply it in proper quantity as well. These are just the few tips which can help you if you are doing it for the first time. If you have applied the thermal paste before, you can make better decisions.